Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter in a new light

Growing up, Easter to me was new dresses, new shoes, maybe a hat, gloves, and a purse...plus dying eggs, bunnies, egg hunts, candy, prizes, being with family and a big potluck.

It wasn't until Easter of 2000 did I understand what Easter meant to many.

Our first church service outside of Oregon City was at a church in Gladstone just before spring to see where we'd like to attend on that special church day. I had to take my children to church on Easter. We left what we grew up with, for hope of finding Jesus Christ.

"He is Risen" was being sung by the choir. Huh...yeah, he isn't dead, I knew that much.

Wow...what a celebration. These people loved Jesus...

Ever since that service, Jesus has been our reason to celebrate this special day.  We celebrate His resurrection and sacrifice He made because of our sin and the salvation He gives freely to those who accept.

We have dyed eggs, we have had egg hunts, but we have not allowed the Easter bunny into our home for over 10 years. We try to bring Jesus into each celebration we have. I give my children chocolate crosses and remind them that Jesus sacrificed himself on the cross, defeated death, rose on the third day, like He promised...and lives...seated at the right hand of Our father in Heaven

This year, we didn't dye eggs nor have we hunted them...but it's not a religious reason...just too busy! It's not important to us as the kids grow. We dressed up (4 of us anyway), with one child sick home with daddy, I took three kids to church, had breakfast with friends and heard a wonderful sermon about Jesus.

For lunch, my daughter and I made resurrection rolls that were hollow inside just like Jesus' tomb.

Enjoy this resurrection day, even if you dye eggs and hunt them...remember Jesus tomb is empty and He is risen!!


No comments:

Post a Comment