Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Moving to a new town, New state, and New life...

Living in a trailer house at a KOA, with two children, while house hunting in a new town, and a new state, is probably not something everyone gets the chance to experience.  Let me shed a little light on this...

We had packed our trailer house with things we'd need to get by from day to day, and I purchased a few things I found out I'd need that I had left back in OR at our apartment. a) cookie sheet  b) mixing bowl  c) ice cube trays  kind of the essentials for cooking and eating meals in while trying to find a home to relocate to.

My sons played, we did "preschool", read books, took trips to the library, explored our new town, spent a lot of time at parks, and scoping out neighborhoods. 

On one trip to the library, I remember getting a phone call from my mom. She was just checking to see how we were. I let her know we planned to move to Idaho Falls. Her voice was a bit stunned as I told her my husband got a promotion to assistant manager and we were looking for homes and going to go back to OR to pack up and move once we found a place. She didn't like that at all. What did she expect? We'd wait around for them to change their minds in "having to do with us"? I think the reality of "cutting us off" was sinking in and it would be difficult to know we'd made a life without her somewhere else.  She wanted to make sure that I'd call her once we were moving and let her know. I told her I would, and I expected to keep in touch. She'd be able to come see us before we left, if she wanted. The ball was in her court...I hoped to see her one last time.

Our Realtor, that I'd contacted on our previous trip over Mother's day had a few homes lined up for us to view, and I'd done some internet searching for homes that had RV parking, a garage, backyard, etc. so house hunting began. 

We found a home that was just the right size for our family, nice big back yard, next to an elementary school, on the outskirts of town. "I want it." I remember thinking. It was the nicest house I'd seen, that was in our budget.  It was built in 1993, the year we were married, I loved the teal carpet, and white woodwork with oak cabinets and railing leading to the finished basement with plenty of kid room! 

Deal. Finally, upon signing papers, and closing the deal, we'd gotten a few days off to go back to OR and pack up our apartment and storage contents and move on over. I made sure to make a phone call to my parents letting them know they could come tell the boys goodbye. It was final, we were moving, and they didn't want any part of it. No goodbye, nothing. My mom said she thought they were going to the beach that day, so they couldn't come. 




We took my husband's parents with us, his sister in law and her two kids, and started a caravan to Idaho Falls. That was a long trip! It's hard to keep in a caravan with a giant Ryder truck that can't go very fast!
Finally, once we hit Boise, my husband said we could drive on ahead and they'd meet us at the house. We made good time going just under 80 miles per hr. (the speed limit was 75 over there)

We pulled in, the truck pulled in, and I can't even remember if we unpacked much, like beds, and furniture. We may have just slept on the floor for all I know. We were exhausted. Over the next couple of days, my husband's family helped unpack stuff and get us settled. 

Jaycee, Levi, Lucas and Weston in our new front yard in Idaho Falls June 3, 2000

















2 comments:

  1. look at those sweet little kids! where did the years go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the kids are so little! i love the picure of Lucas and the Ryder truck.

    ReplyDelete